Saturday, December 22, 2007

Health Update on Feliza

I sent an e-mail out to my family to ask for their prayers and inform them that I had recently become very dehydrated...I know, me of all people, the one always telling others to drink enough water!

Well...it happened to me. I hadn't gotten sick since I'd been here but this week was affected by dehydration. The Harmattan has begun here in Ghana (The Harmattan is a dry and dusty West African trade wind. It blows south from Sahara into the Gulf of Guinea between the end of November and the middle of March (winter). (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmattan)that plus drinking more hot caffeinated tea and coffee than usual added to it and just not drinking enough to fight the dry air here.

I began to faint at a very crowded, hot, marketplace a couple hours away from home. I was with Angelo and the kids and I thought it could have been my blood sugar, I was able to drink enough juice to walk the distance to the jeep and go home. My blood pressure was very low and I was extremely weak and tired. I went to a local nearby clinic yesterday and recieved 1 1/2 litres of normal saline fluid intravaneously and felt somewhat better; they also took some blood tests as well. I am much better today although feeling tired still. Also drinking a lot of water.

Little by little catching up with my strength. All this right before Christmas...not fun. But God is good and He provided the right doctors and help where I needed it!

We miss you all and of course are missing being at home with family and friends for Christmas. Tommorrow at church we will have a packed Sunday with a second communion service and the baby naming ceremony of the daughter of our driver Isaac. His daughter was named after me, it was a true honor! Her full name is Feliza Ajeebia Osai, almost 2 months old now!

Merry Christmas to you all!

No comments: